The History and Origins
Tools Needed and Serving Size
- Baking sheets
- Parchment paper
- Mixing bowls
- Electric mixer (optional)
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Wire racks
Serving Size: This recipe yields approximately 36 cookies, making it ideal for sharing with family and friends.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10-12 minutes
- Total Time: 30-32 minutes
Ingredients and Possible Replacements
For the Cookies:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 and 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
For the Frosting:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Food coloring (optional)
- Sprinkles (optional)
- Almond Extract: If you prefer, you can omit the almond extract or replace it with more vanilla extract.
- Sour Cream: Greek yogurt can be used as a substitute for sour cream if needed.
Steps to Prepare
Step 1: Preheat the Oven and Prepare Baking Sheets
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set them aside.
Step 2: Cream the Butter and Sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and granulated sugar until the mixture becomes light and fluffy. This step is crucial for achieving a soft texture in the cookies.
Step 3: Add Eggs and Extracts
- Add the eggs, vanilla extract, and almond extract (if using) to the butter-sugar mixture. Mix well until the ingredients are fully combined.
Step 4: Combine Dry Ingredients
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Step 5: Alternately Add Dry Ingredients and Sour Cream
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, alternating with the sour cream. Begin and end with the dry ingredients, mixing just until combined after each addition. Overmixing can lead to tougher cookies.
Step 6: Shape and Bake
- Scoop rounded tablespoons of cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing them about 2 inches apart. Gently flatten each dough ball with the bottom of a glass or the palm of your hand.
Step 7: Bake and Cool
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden. Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes. Then, transfer them to wire racks to cool completely.
Step 8: Prepare the Frosting
- While the cookies cool, prepare the frosting. In a mixing bowl, beat the softened butter for the frosting until creamy. Gradually add the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract, mixing until smooth and fluffy. If desired, add food coloring to the frosting and mix until well combined.
Step 9: Frost and Decorate
- Once the cookies are completely cooled, frost them with the prepared frosting and decorate with sprinkles if you like. This step allows for creativity and adds a burst of color and sweetness.
Common Mistakes to Avoid
1. Overmixing the Dough
Overmixing can result in tough cookies. Mix the dough just until the ingredients are combined to maintain a tender texture.
2. Not Allowing Cookies to Cool
Letting the cookies cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring them to wire racks prevents them from becoming too soft or breaking apart.
3. Inadequate Frosting
Don’t be stingy with the frosting! Generously frost each cookie for the signature Lofthouse look and flavor.
4. Overcrowding the Baking Sheets
Leaving enough space between cookie dough portions allows for even baking and prevents cookies from merging together.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Certainly! You can prepare the cookie dough and refrigerate it for up to 2-3 days before baking. Simply shape and bake when ready.
3. How Can I Achieve Different Frosting Colors?
To create multiple frosting colors, divide the prepared frosting into separate bowls and add food coloring to each. Mix until you achieve the desired colors.
4. Can I Use Different Sprinkles?
5. How Long Do These Cookies Stay Fresh?
Stored in an airtight container at room temperature, these cookies stay fresh for about 3-5 days. You can extend their freshness by refrigerating or freezing them.
Conclusion: Share Sweet Moments
You May Also Like: Explore our wide range of recipes to discover more delightful culinary adventures. From
cookies to cakes and savory dishes, there’s a recipe for every occasion. Happy baking! 🍪👩🍳