Delve into the world of delightful desserts with our Carrot Cake Roll featuring a luscious Cream Cheese Frosting Filling! This classic yet impressive dessert perfectly marries the moist richness of carrot cake with the creamy goodness of cream cheese frosting. Whether for a special occasion or as a treat for friends and family, this cake roll is sure to please your taste buds.
How to Make Fruit Pizza
Before we roll into the specifics of this delightful recipe, let’s uncover the history and origins behind this delectable dessert.
History and Origins
The Carrot Cake Roll with Cream Cheese Frosting embodies a modern twist on the traditional carrot cake. The concept of rolling cake with a filling is a creative adaptation that showcases the versatility of the classic carrot cake and enhances its presentation.
Tools Needed, Serving Size, and Cooking Time
- 10×15-inch jelly roll pan
- Parchment paper
- Mixing bowls (medium and large)
- Electric mixer
- Flat surface for rolling
- Plastic wrap
Serving Size: 8 servings
- Active Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours (including cooling and chilling time)
Ingredients and Possible Replacements
Bakery & Bread:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
Herbs & Spices:
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Whole wheat pastry flour or gluten-free flour for all-purpose flour.
- Aluminum-free baking powder can substitute for baking powder.
- Baking powder with a pinch of salt for baking soda in recipes.
- Pumpkin puree or applesauce for moisture, or grated carrots for a more traditional approach.
- A blend of cinnamon, cloves, and allspice can replace individual spices.
- Salt can be adjusted according to preference.
- Preheat Oven and Prepare Pan: Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 10×15-inch jelly roll pan and line it with parchment paper, allowing overhang for easy removal.
- Prepare Dry Ingredients: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt.
- Mix Wet Ingredients: In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, pumpkin puree (or applesauce), and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Combine Dry and Wet Ingredients: Gradually add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, folding until just combined.
- Bake the Cake: Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 12-15 minutes until the cake springs back when touched.
- Cool and Roll the Cake: While the cake is warm, lift edges of parchment paper and transfer the cake to a flat surface. Roll the warm cake with parchment paper into a tight spiral and let it cool completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting Filling Steps:
- Prepare the Frosting: In a large bowl, beat softened cream cheese and butter until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar and vanilla extract, beating until fluffy.
Assembling the Carrot Cake Roll:
- Unroll and Spread Frosting: Carefully unroll the cake, spread the cream cheese frosting evenly, and gently roll it back without the parchment paper.
- Chill the Cake: Wrap the cake roll in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
- Serve: Dust the cake roll with powdered sugar before serving, if desired.
Top 4 Mistakes and How to Avoid Them
Mistake 1: Overmixing the Batter
Avoid overmixing the batter to keep the cake fluffy. Gently fold the ingredients until just combined for a tender texture.
Mistake 2: Rolling the Cake While Hot
Allow the cake to cool slightly before rolling it to prevent cracking. It should still be warm but not too hot.
Mistake 3: Using Cold Cream Cheese and Butter
Room temperature cream cheese and butter ensure a smooth and creamy frosting. Soften them before mixing.
Mistake 4: Skipping Chilling Time
Chilling the cake roll allows the frosting to set, making it easier to slice and preventing it from becoming too soft.
FAQ: 5 Common Questions
1. Can I add nuts or raisins to the cake?
Certainly! Chopped nuts like walnuts or pecans and raisins can be added for texture and flavor.
2. Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Absolutely! Store the wrapped cake roll in the refrigerator for up to two days before serving.
3. Can I use a different frosting?
Of course! A simple vanilla glaze or a whipped cream frosting can be delightful alternatives.
4. Can I freeze the cake roll?
Yes, tightly wrap the cake roll in plastic wrap and store it in an airtight container in the freezer for up to a month.
5. Can I make mini cake rolls with this recipe?
Indeed! Adjust baking time and pan size to create smaller cake rolls perfect for individual servings.
This Carrot Cake Roll with Cream Cheese Frosting Filling is a delightful and visually stunning dessert that brings together the delightful flavors of carrot cake and creamy frosting. Share this impressive cake roll at gatherings or special occasions, and delight in the sweet, aromatic indulgence it brings to every bite!